Email marketing software helps marketers send a commercial message to a group of people via email. These tools can be used to design and build customized emails, either using HTML and CSS or via easy-to-use visual editors. With email marketing software users can build and manage opt-in email lists, segment those lists to target email sends, and manage unsubscribes or subscriber responses.
Email marketing platforms that integrate with CRM software tools can enhance the segmentation capabilities of the platform.
Email marketing is commonly a feature of marketing automation tools. This category includes products which are point solutions for email marketing and do not generally offer a full suite of additional automation features across multiple channels. For more information on the email marketing capabilities provided by marketing automation products, please see the Marketing Automation category page.
To qualify for inclusion in the Email Marketing category, a product must:
- Enable the creation and sending of emails via HTML or WYSIWYG editor
- Provide email templates
- Allow users to preview and send test emails
- Store, track, segment, and manage email contact lists
- Provide campaign-based reporting and analytics
- Not provide additional marketing automation features in channels other than email as their core function